September 4, 2011 § Leave a comment
..And best person to give that is yourself.
It’s great to be in a new place, learning new things, meeting new people. But it does get lonely at times. Esp if you are just trying to get over another heartbreak. Add massive weight-gain to that and you know you are heading down-hill.
So what a girl does to cheer herself up?
Here are things I’ve been trying and stuff that makes me happy nowadays
1. Shopping – Shopping in Australia is tough. It’s just too expensive. So I turned to one of my favorite affordable brands which is ASOS. Pretty clothes, fun bags.. I’m so ready for spring. Add few more online sites. Few sales. And I’ve a new wardrobe. I also have a new favorite work wear brand -Raoul. Such brilliant and comfy formal clothes.
2. Macarons – I’m yet to try all the note-worthy macaron places. But it’s fun discovering them.
3. Straight Hair – My heartbreaks are usually followed by extreme hair cuts. This time, I decided not to lose the length, just the look. I was reading up on different hair straightening options and came across Japanese HS. It’s bit expensive than others (ok, lot expensive), But unlike HS in India, it doesn’t leave your hair too dry. I went with Shiseido HS which basically uses Shiseido products. Process took about 5 hours and 10% of my pay. And it’s so worth it. My hair is so soft after washes and less frizzy and they look just awesome.
4. Jelly Beans– I’m never without them. At work, at uni, in trams, in queues. Sugar Rush is still the best
5. Compliments – From co-workers to people in Bar, It just brighten ups my day when someone tells me something nice. I esp love the reactions when people find out my age. Thanks for good genes, Mom n Dad.
6. New apartment – We are moving to new place by end of this month and I’m so excited. I’ve already have my shopping list ready for my room. Wall-to-wall wardrobe, Ensuite with Spa Bath, Convenient location. I just love it.
7. Makeup – Somehow between Delhi to Melbourne, I developed a fetish for lip colors. I purchased quite a few from Singapore airport, then few here. And I’m so in love with them. My current favorites are Clinique’s Chubby Stick and L’oreal’s Infallible. This week I seem to be leaning back towards eye-liners and I already have few in mind that I would like to purchase.
8. Nails – I’ve discovered OPI. OMG, what colors. Just so pretty. I’ve about 20 shades sitting in shopping cart. And it’s taking all my strength to not place an order.
9 Dr Who – My fascination with Dr Who is now bordering on obsession. I’ve bought pens just because they have floating Dalek/Tardis in them. Horrible to write with, but I’m still buying more. Next one will have cyberman in it. I’m loving the micro figures assortments. Each packet contains 1 of the 10 figures. And I still buy them like a little kid trying to complete her collection. No, I’ll not give you extra figures. Next up on wish list is to buy 11 doctors micro figure set and then angels one or maybe both.
10 Sponge fingers – How did we not meet before, dear sponge fingers? They are now part of my morning coffee routine. And so yum. Not very sugary inside with sugar sprinkles on top. Love them.
Add books and beers to this list and you have a really happy girl.
Moral of the story is Boys break your heart, but shopping and food makes it alright. 🙂
So what do you do to make yourself happy?
September 1, 2011 § 2 Comments
Living in new city always bring changes to your life style. Some positive, some not so positive. I wanted to talk about new things I’m learning, but I decided to leave that for another post. First let me tell you about the city that I live in.
I love Melbourne, Have done so since 2007 when I visited it for first time. I always knew if I ever move out of India, Melbourne would be one of top contenders. And now that I’m building a life here, I love it even more. Here are few reasons to love this city:
1. Macarons. It’s not Paris, but Melbourne can surely compete with it. Macarons at every corner. Some delicious, some heavenly, some not-so-good. And what flavors. Not just classic chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, but modern touches like wasabi. Melbourne lives on its macarons.
2. Lanes. I love walking in random small lanes covered with eateries, cafes, boutiques. I find new places each time.
3. Food. If there was a religion for city. Melbourne’s would be food. If you are in CBD, you cannot walk down 1 block without encountering eatery/cafe of some kind. And so many cuisines.
4. City Library. As much as I love food and shopping, everyone knows I cannot survive without books. Australian Publishers make it so hard for me to buy books, but city makes it so easy to read them for free. City Library lets you borrow upto 50 books and DVDs without any charges. (late penalties do apply). Life saver it is.
5. People. I don’t care what people say about Australians or urban people in general. I’ve met some fascinating conversations with strangers here. I’ve met a waitress, who’s looking to become a chef. I’ve met a cafe owner, who serve his grandmother’s recipe. And my day always begins with smiles, from people in lift to tram driver. Most people smile. It’s beautiful.
I’ll not rave about shopping ‘coz frankly it sucks. Either too expensive or crap quality.