September 4, 2011 § Leave a comment
..And best person to give that is yourself.
It’s great to be in a new place, learning new things, meeting new people. But it does get lonely at times. Esp if you are just trying to get over another heartbreak. Add massive weight-gain to that and you know you are heading down-hill.
So what a girl does to cheer herself up?
Here are things I’ve been trying and stuff that makes me happy nowadays
1. Shopping – Shopping in Australia is tough. It’s just too expensive. So I turned to one of my favorite affordable brands which is ASOS. Pretty clothes, fun bags.. I’m so ready for spring. Add few more online sites. Few sales. And I’ve a new wardrobe. I also have a new favorite work wear brand -Raoul. Such brilliant and comfy formal clothes.
2. Macarons – I’m yet to try all the note-worthy macaron places. But it’s fun discovering them.
3. Straight Hair – My heartbreaks are usually followed by extreme hair cuts. This time, I decided not to lose the length, just the look. I was reading up on different hair straightening options and came across Japanese HS. It’s bit expensive than others (ok, lot expensive), But unlike HS in India, it doesn’t leave your hair too dry. I went with Shiseido HS which basically uses Shiseido products. Process took about 5 hours and 10% of my pay. And it’s so worth it. My hair is so soft after washes and less frizzy and they look just awesome.
4. Jelly Beans– I’m never without them. At work, at uni, in trams, in queues. Sugar Rush is still the best
5. Compliments – From co-workers to people in Bar, It just brighten ups my day when someone tells me something nice. I esp love the reactions when people find out my age. Thanks for good genes, Mom n Dad.
6. New apartment – We are moving to new place by end of this month and I’m so excited. I’ve already have my shopping list ready for my room. Wall-to-wall wardrobe, Ensuite with Spa Bath, Convenient location. I just love it.
7. Makeup – Somehow between Delhi to Melbourne, I developed a fetish for lip colors. I purchased quite a few from Singapore airport, then few here. And I’m so in love with them. My current favorites are Clinique’s Chubby Stick and L’oreal’s Infallible. This week I seem to be leaning back towards eye-liners and I already have few in mind that I would like to purchase.
8. Nails – I’ve discovered OPI. OMG, what colors. Just so pretty. I’ve about 20 shades sitting in shopping cart. And it’s taking all my strength to not place an order.
9 Dr Who – My fascination with Dr Who is now bordering on obsession. I’ve bought pens just because they have floating Dalek/Tardis in them. Horrible to write with, but I’m still buying more. Next one will have cyberman in it. I’m loving the micro figures assortments. Each packet contains 1 of the 10 figures. And I still buy them like a little kid trying to complete her collection. No, I’ll not give you extra figures. Next up on wish list is to buy 11 doctors micro figure set and then angels one or maybe both.
10 Sponge fingers – How did we not meet before, dear sponge fingers? They are now part of my morning coffee routine. And so yum. Not very sugary inside with sugar sprinkles on top. Love them.
Add books and beers to this list and you have a really happy girl.
Moral of the story is Boys break your heart, but shopping and food makes it alright. 🙂
So what do you do to make yourself happy?
August 29, 2010 § 1 Comment
People close to me know about my affinity for desserts. If given a choice, I would happily skip main course just to have desserts. Needless to say, every time I hear about a new bakery, I have to give it a try. (That’s not saying my local bakery is bad, it’s pretty awesome to say least, but still. greedy me..) This time, my attention was caught by a particular post on a travel forum that I frequent. Someone was looking for good Bagels in Delhi, and someone else found a bakery serving authentic ones. So, as usual, I made a note to visit it. Chance to do so came soon. U wanted to catch up on breakfast. What better place for breakfast than a bakery. So we headed to Red Moon bakery in Sarita Vihar. (Now you know how crazy I’m for this stuff. Driving all the way there just to sample few things). So here’s the review –
Ambiance: Zilch. It’s a bakery where you buy stuff and leave. No place to sit down. 4 people would be too much for the tiny space it has. But the smell of freshly baked goods is heavenly.
Food Items: It was hard to decide what to order by just looking at the display. Everything looked so tempting. After much deliberation, we ended up ordering lemon tart, butter tart, lemon meringue tart, scone and of course, sesame bagels. First we tried butter tarts, yummmm. Then Lemon ones and I thought I would die of pleasure. But I hadn’t tasted the Meringue ones yet. Have I? Once you try Lemon Meringue Tart, you just can’t go back. Meringue cloud has to be one of the best I’ve tried. Soft, melts in your mouth. Lemon tart below the could was as delicious as the could above. A perfect compliment. We had bagels afterward. Unfortunately, all these experiments were done in U’s car, so there was absence of butter. Bagels were good. But after tasting that polishing off that Meringue Tart, it was hard to appreciate them. 🙂 Same goes for Scone. It was delicious. But doesn’t come close to heavenly Meringue Tart. Next time, I’m saving this Tart for last, So I can enjoy everything fairly first.
Verdict: 4.5 out of 5 (I’m taking away .5 star for not been able to sit and keep on ordering). Definitely one of my favorite bakeries now. If they ever decide to have a seating place, I think I’ll become a fixture and happily get fat. Maybe I should take baking lessons from them.
Additional Info: They do deliver to different areas of city, but not to Noida. As Anna (Owner) explained, the inter state taxes eat up their profit. So there’s another thing you can blame government for. Here’s the link http://www.redmoonbakery.com/
August 28, 2010 § 2 Comments
Finally a restaurant review. (Lot of people have told me that I need to do this, considering I’ve really strong opinions about food and restaurants)
Almost a month back, I went to Punjab Grill (Select mall, Saket) with E. Now, little background here. I really wanted to go to O Palazio and finally try main course there. Unfortunately, it was closed and This discovery did cost me a pair of flip flops. With Punjab Grill, my history hasn’t been good. Few times, we didn’t get table and wait was too long. 1-2 times, I ended up going to the bar downstairs and forgot that I was supposed to have dinner there. Anyways, this time, we got the table. Good part, it was on terrace. Bad part, no alcohol is served there.
Ambiance: It’s ok. Not so great, but not very bad either. We sat on outer side looking at the DLF entrance. yes, even the terrace has 2 partitions. One is covered by plastic sheets and other is out open. Waiters are polite. Hostess explained that they couldn’t get the license for serving alcohol on terrace. (Yes, I did mention Tabula and AI terraces, she says they don’t know how others managed it).
Seats are comfortable enough.
Food: For a Punjabi restaurant, there were quite a few fusion dishes. Expected from Jiggs Kalra. E suggested Duck in starters. I’ve never had it, so we decided to give it a go. Other starter dish we ordered was Chicken Kurkuri. While I liked the way duck tasted, I felt there was bit too much marination on it. E is the duck expert here, so he can judge it better. Chicken Kurkuri was kind of fried wontons, served with dip in shot glass. It was yum. Must try, if you visit it.
For main course, we decided on Daal and Morel Mushroom dish. Earlier in the day, E was telling me How Morels are in season for only 4 weeks in a year and I have to try them. Lucky for us, it was on menu. Daal was good. (I did expect it to be even better though). Morel Dish (I can’t remember the name now), reminded me of the papad Salan that Mom makes. It wasn’t very spicy, bit sweet for me. My Gujju friends should like it a lot :). However, Morels were really nice. If I see them on menu again, I’m so ordering them.
Waiter had advised us against the roti platter (too much for 2, he said) and we were glad he did. We had Pudina Paratha and Tandoori Roti. Both pretty good.
Apart from that, I had Lassi, which I really liked. Though I don’t get the concept of Barfi (Indian Sweet dish) inside it, I would order it again.
Pricing: It’s definitely on the expensive side. However, the ones used to Big Chills and Punjabi by Nature, will find ok. Anyways, I don’t think Select has any cheap place.
My verdict: 3 out of 5. I would visit it with friends who like Indian food, but want it bit less spicy and different from usual affairs. For hard core Butter chicken people, It needs to be Karim’s or Punjabi By Nature for me. (PbN also has Vodka Golgappas, so it’s always a favorite 🙂 )
Overall, a good place but I expected bit more with Jiggs Kalra’s name. That’s what happens when you grow reading a certain person’s reviews. You start expecting too much from them.
PS: E, next time, we are definitely going to Karim’s. Promise 🙂
PPS: Do tell me how it was? Should I do more of these?
October 20, 2008 § 5 Comments
These are just so Duh… If you can’t eat Eggs due to whatever reason, why cant you let go of Stuff that contains Eggs.. Esp Mayo.. If it doesn’t have Egg in it.. It’s just not Mayo.. Deal with it and Accept it.
Then if you are so figure conscious or health conscious, Don’t eat Sugar/Butter/Cheese.. Nobody is forcing you to do that.. You want to have perfect figure, then make few sacrifices.. Size 0 is not for everyone.. Show that you deserve the compliments 😀