September 1, 2011 § 2 Comments
Living in new city always bring changes to your life style. Some positive, some not so positive. I wanted to talk about new things I’m learning, but I decided to leave that for another post. First let me tell you about the city that I live in.
I love Melbourne, Have done so since 2007 when I visited it for first time. I always knew if I ever move out of India, Melbourne would be one of top contenders. And now that I’m building a life here, I love it even more. Here are few reasons to love this city:
1. Macarons. It’s not Paris, but Melbourne can surely compete with it. Macarons at every corner. Some delicious, some heavenly, some not-so-good. And what flavors. Not just classic chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, but modern touches like wasabi. Melbourne lives on its macarons.
2. Lanes. I love walking in random small lanes covered with eateries, cafes, boutiques. I find new places each time.
3. Food. If there was a religion for city. Melbourne’s would be food. If you are in CBD, you cannot walk down 1 block without encountering eatery/cafe of some kind. And so many cuisines.
4. City Library. As much as I love food and shopping, everyone knows I cannot survive without books. Australian Publishers make it so hard for me to buy books, but city makes it so easy to read them for free. City Library lets you borrow upto 50 books and DVDs without any charges. (late penalties do apply). Life saver it is.
5. People. I don’t care what people say about Australians or urban people in general. I’ve met some fascinating conversations with strangers here. I’ve met a waitress, who’s looking to become a chef. I’ve met a cafe owner, who serve his grandmother’s recipe. And my day always begins with smiles, from people in lift to tram driver. Most people smile. It’s beautiful.
I’ll not rave about shopping ‘coz frankly it sucks. Either too expensive or crap quality.