What’s in your bag?
March 23, 2010 § 4 Comments
When I saw Up in the Air, one of the things I noticed was the efficiency in packing. Of course, normal people cannot survive with just 1 change of clothes. But do you really need 10 pair for 1 week?
I have some friends who always panic before leaving for any vacation. And then there are those who need atleast a day to pack.
Personally, I need half to one hour only, depending on whether I can find my passport in 15 minutes or 45 minutes.. And til date, I’ve never faced any kind of shortage (except space for all the things that I buy on way back)
Here are my tips and tricks for effective packing –
1. Know where you are going. It’s always better to be aware if you need to pack any woolens or raincoats.
2. One pair of jeans is more than enough. And while you are at it, try to wear it while traveling in planes. Saves weight and space in your bag.
3. Mix and Match. Carry t-shirts, tops that you can wear with multiple shorts, skirts, jeans. Seriously, carrying 5 sets doesn’t make sense. This way you get more variations with less number of clothes
4. Use washing machines/laundry I know, I know, hotel laundries are expensive but more often than not, there would be a cheaper option nearby. And at times, you meet interesting people in laundromats.
5. Give in to temptation. Yes, you wanna dine in that perfect restaurant and wear perfect dress. 1 is enough. 3 pairs of heels are not needed. Seriously.
6. Use Travel packs. I know people who carry 1l bottle of moisturizer. Ummm, there’s a reason all companies make travel sizes. It’s so that you save on space and have a lighter bag. I use all my sample gifts while traveling. No need to carry too much.
7. Leave cosmetic bag at home . carry only essential things and while you are at it, throw them in your hand bag. Much more handy and effective.
8. Make a list of essentials and don’t forget them. It’s ok to leave a scarf behind but forgetting your medicines, not so ok.
9. Wear sneakers on plane and put flip-flops in bag. Trust me, you are again saving on both space and weight.
10. In the end, even if you do forget some stuff, it’s not so bad to shop at other cities.. 🙂
It works for me. Let me know if it does for you.
PS: I actually went to Europe with a 7Kg bag for a month. And had most awesome time.