What have you learned from your past n present relationships?
April 1, 2009 § 6 Comments
Today I found an interesting mail in my inbox, asking me to jot down all my learning from past relationships.. Now I could’ve just sent this as reply but thought it would make a rather interesting post.. And instead of all, I’ll jot top 10.. I think they collectively cover a lot
So here’s what I’ve learned in past decade..
1. Never take anyone for granted and Never let anyone take you for granted.
2. Never let anyone dictate your life and Never dictate someone else’s life.
Its just so easy to fall in these patterns. And one day you wake up realizing you’ve lost respect for the other or yourself.
3. Be honest.
Its better to lose a relationship in beginning than later because you fudged few things.
4. Be open about each others hang-ups.
We all have some. Accept them and if you can’t, discuss them.
5. Be supportive, at all times.
It’s one thing to agree with a decision, another to support your partner through a bad one. If they want to listen to your told-you-so, they can as well go, visit their parents.
6. Never ever disrespect each other’s families. But if there’s a genuine problem, discuss with your partner before taking an action.
Fine, they are as nice as you would like them to be. But still respect them. However, make sure this doesnt mean your losing your self-esteem.
7. Respect each other’s space and boundaries.
8. Don’t get jealous over small things. For big things, tell your partner what’s bothering you and why.
9. Don’t patronize them.
You can’t keep on treating the other person as child all the time.
10. Don’t lose the laughter.
The day you stop laughing together is the day you doom your relationship
So for me the key has been communication. Most of the times, things ended ‘coz we were not listening to each other, just hearing what we wanted to.